With camping season upon us, more of us are getting prepared to hit the trails. You might already have the big items, such as tents and cooking equipment, as most people don’t tend to buy them too regularly. However, you might not have some of the smaller things that you need for a camping trip.
That includes the likes of camping cookware. While you might think that normal kitchenware would be up to the task, that may not be the case. Your kitchen cookware may not put up with the wear and tear that comes with camping, and you wouldn’t want to ruin the sets that you already have.
Typically, the best camping cookware sets are made of hard-anodized aluminum or stainless steel, making them durable and suitable for outdoor use. That also differentiates them from kitchenware, which can often be made out of ceramic materials. Camping cookware is also fairly lightweight, making it great for backpacking and camping.
If these products are new to you, then you might be wondering what the best camping cookware is. In this article, we provide a complete guide and review of the top sets on the market today.
The Best Camping Cookware: 5 Top Options to Consider
Made entirely out of stainless steel, the Wealers Store Camping Cookware Set has proven to be a durable option that should put up with a lot of use. That makes it a more long-lasting option that should last you a significant number of camping trips. The steel also makes it easy to clean, which is helped by the non-stick coating.
Speaking of this coating, it can get scratched off quite easily. That can be avoided, however, by using plastic, wooden, or rubber utensils instead of metal ones when cooking. Outside of that, it should tolerate a lot of wear and tear. Its portability and ease of use also make it relatively unmatched, making it a recommended for beginner campers.
There is another drawback in that the knobs of the lids can rust. However, that can be avoided by keeping this set dry and out of the elements.
- Made entirely out of stainless steel to prevent staining.
- Should put up with a decent amount of wear and tear.
- Designed to be as portable as possible.
- Can be used when cooking indoors or outdoors.
- Handles are designed to ensure balance when holding.
- The non-stick coating skillet can get scratched easily.
- Knobs on the lid are known to rust.
With a significant number of pieces contained in this kit, the Odoland has enough of a capacity to feed a decent size family with ease. That doesn’t mean that you’ll be lugging them around. These can be amazingly portable, as the pots and pans can be easily stacked inside each other.
The stainless-steel material also means that it shouldn’t rust anytime soon, while the non-stick coating prevents anything from burning onto the kitchenware. That coating is of a relatively low quality, though, as it’s known to come off with time. Despite this, the Odoland is a great option if you’re camping with a group of people.
The heat retention and heat conduction are also quite high, so you should cook your food quickly.
- Has many more pieces than some competitors and has a decent capacity.
- Pots and pans are big enough to cook for a family.
- Cutlery is made from stainless steel, which fights against rust.
- Can be stacked together into a small package.
- Should be quite easy to clean and uses a non-stick coating.
- Non-stick coating might not be as good as you would think.
- Water bag can break quite easily.
If you’re looking for cookware that has high heat conduction and heat retention, then look no further than the Sanheshun 18PCS Outdoor Ultralight Camping Cookware Mess Kit. These are coupled with a heat transfer efficiency that should see your food cooking quickly.
The heat distribution should also mean that everything’s cooked evenly. The kit should include enough pieces to cook a decent amount of food while also ensuring that everything’s cooked perfectly.
Coupled with this is a surprising amount of scratch resistance and overall portability. The handles are also thermally insulated to keep you from burning yourself.
It should be noted, though, that this might only be suitable for one or two campers and may not be the best option for families. However, it is a great set for couples if you plan on camping with your significant other.
- Can cook at much higher temperatures than its alternatives.
- Heats up much faster than others and spreads heat evenly.
- Offers quite a lot of portability.
- Much more scratch-resistant than its competitors.
- Handles are thermally-insulated to keep you safe.
- Small capacity and only suitable for one or two people.
- Can be bulkier than similar options.
If you’re backpacking, then you’d want a lightweight cooking set that won’t bog you down as you hike. That’s precisely what this Wealers Store option offers, alongside a compact stacking system so that it doesn’t take up too much space.
It’s also one of the more practical options, as it’s quite easy to clean and the bag used to carry them can be carried relatively easily. However, there are two minor drawbacks to this.
The first is that the lids are not as snug as you might want, while the handles could snap off. A little bit of care when you’re using them, though, should be more than enough to avoid both of these issues.
- Lighter weight than other camping cookware options.
- Can stack into each other, which makes it even easier to move around.
- Much easier to clean than competitors.
- Tote bag used for carrying is visually appealing and of good quality.
- Shouldn’t stain easily.
- Handles can break off easily.
- Lids might not fit snugly.
You might be looking for some cookware that can put up with a decent heat source, alongside high temperatures. That’s where this option for the best camping cookware shines, as it’s able to conduct and retain heat quite effectively.
There’s also the fact that these are one of the more practical sets to use, as the foldable handles should be easy to hold and use. They also shouldn’t heat up too much when cooking. It’s also a lightweight option, despite what the durable titanium material might make you think.
However, there are relatively few utensils included with this, and it has a relatively small cooking capacity. That would make it good for a hot meal for two people, but not much more.
- Heats much more efficiently than competitors.
- Foldable handles make them easy to carry.
- Made completely from titanium, which makes them quite durable.
- Material also makes them more lightweight than others.
- Non-allergenic, so almost anybody can use them.
- Small capacity, so only recommended for cooking basic meals one or two people at most.
- Few utensils were included with it.
How To Choose The Best Camping Cookware
There are quite a few factors that campers and anybody going backpacking should look at when buying camping cookware. The first of these is portability and compactness. You’ll need to take the set with you on your trip, but you can only carry a certain weight and number of items.
If you’re camping, this will be pretty easy, as you can take them in the car. If you’re backpacking, though, you should make sure that you can carry them on your trip. The material is also an important factor. Typically, you can get it in stainless steel or aluminum, although iron is also available.
The steel option tends to be the more recommended, as it can offer much more durability. As implied by the name, it will stain much less and be easier to clean. The aluminum option, though, weighs much less, so it may be easier to carry it with you.
Cooking time is also an important factor. While you might assume that all sets cook the same, this isn’t the case, as some can be much faster than others. Some will also provide a much more even heat, which should cook your food much more effectively. That will also prevent hot spots from developing and burning food.
Though the majority of camping cookware sets will come with non-stick coating, that’s not always the case. Some will come with the coating on a few of the products, while others will not include it at all. This will prevent anything from burning onto the kitchen set and can help with cleaning. That could make nonstick coating a priority for many campers.
The best camping cookware depends on exactly what you’re looking for. If you’re a family, then you should choose the Wealers Store camp cookware set, as it has enough pots, pans, and bowls for you to cook and eat with. It’s also made out of quality materials, which everyone should want.
If you’re backpacking and only need something small, though, then the HOMFUL camp cookware option might be the better option for you. That’s because it’s an affordable option designed to be as lightweight and portable as possible.